Thursday 23 January 2014

MTBNZ Downhill Cup Round 1 Christchurch

Round one of the downhill MTBNZ Cup was held in Christchurch at Victoria Park. The track was dry, dusty, technical and was really blown out by the end of the weekend. There were holes, ruts and rocks appearing everywhere down the track, it was impossible to know what the track would be like in race run. This all made it a very physical track that was lots of fun to ride.

Check out this GoPro footage we got of track:  

The top section of the track was steep and extremely dusty, which made it impossible to follow anybody in practice. Then it was into the difficult road gap that attracted a load of spectators and photographers on race day. It wasn't the jump itself that was hard, it was the corner after that required a lot of skill to slow down enough for. After the road gap there was a fun section which was a bit of a rest before you went out into the open, where it was all out on the pedals around the side of a hill. Then it was back into the forest, to drop down to the finish.

http://www.nzsnaps.com/Mountainbiking/2014-NZ-DH-MTB-Open/36115013_66TnRB#!i=3028471838&k=X76PM2L
Click on the image to see the awesome shots from nzsnaps

I ended up finishing 10th in the under 19's with a crash in my race run. Some pretty decent holes had opened  up in the corner after the road gap that throw me off my bike. I was quickly back up and glad I could finish my run. I am now looking forward to the next round in Nelson which should be a very physical track!          


No comments:

Post a Comment